St Sophia’s Greek
Orthodox Cathedral has, and manages the Greek sections of
the cemeteries in West Norwood Cemetery, Hendon and
In West Norwood Cemetery (Greek Necropolis) there
are no available graves.
The Mortuary chapel of St Stephen is described as a
landmark (Listed Building no. 204529. Grade II).
In Hendon Cemetery
graves are available.
In New Southgate Cemetery
graves are available.
West Norwood Cemetery
The Hellenic enclosure of West Norwood cemetery is
not only an integral part of the history of the
Hellenic Community of London but also of the whole
The mortal remains of great benefactors of the newly
established Hellenic State after the 1821 War of
Independence lie under its Neoclassical burial
A secluded area of about half an acre was acquired
in 1842 to meet the needs of the distinguished
members of the Community for their last journey.
The increasing number of Hellenes setting in London,
especially between 1835 and 1840, led gradually to
the consolidation of a Hellenic Community.
By the end of 1839, the Hellenic Community was
solidly established thanks to the leading
personality and influence of Pandias S. Ralli.
At the General Assembly held on 6 November 1841, the
Community appointed a Committee to accomplish the
difficult task of finding a suitable plot for the
burials of its members.
On 2 July 1842, they reported to the General Meeting
that an arrangement had been made with the South
Metropolitan Cemetery Company for a special site in
its West Norwood Cemetery to be allotted to serve as
the Hellenic Cemetery.
The General Assembly of the Brotherhood unanimously
approved to the Committee’s decision and further
authorised them to enclose the site of the Cemetery
with railings “and empowered them to spend up to
Thus, by mid-1842, the Hellenic Community acquired
its own cemetery.
The plot, 150 feet wide, was 150 feet deep to the
right side and 80 feet deep to the left side, thus
forming an uneven shape.
The railings, of great artistic value, protect the
enclosure and are supported at regular intervals by
marble pilasters, adorned with female statues, which
slightly exceed the height of the fence.
The most impressive monument in the cemetery was
erected in 1872, after the tragic death of Augustus
Ralli, a 16-year-old student at Eton College.
His father, Stephanos Ralli, sent a letter on 18
March 1872 to the members of the General Assembly,
asking for authorisation from the Brotherhood to
build, at his own expense, a small chapel in memory
of his son.
The General Assembly gratefully accepted this
generous proposal and the churchwardens were charged
to express the Community’s gratitude to the donor.
The churchwardens carried out the resolution of the
General Assembly and asked permission from Stephanos
Ralli to dedicate the Chapel to St Stephen, “in
order that the remembrance of this valued gift might
remain more vivid in the minds of our descendants”.
Norwood Cemetery contains the remains of renowned
Hellenes who laid in many ways the foundations of
modern Hellas, bought back to public awareness the
Hellenic spirit, honoured their origin and won the
respect of the British public.
The cathedral of St Sophia and Norwood Cemetery are
reminders of the determination of the Hellenic
diaspora to maintain their cultural and spiritual
identity not only while in this world but in eternal
life as well.
The enormous amount of work and money required to
preserve this valuable source of modern Hellenic
history is an outstanding debt owed to the founders
of the Community by us and future generations.
To purchase tomb, contact St
Sophia's Greek Orthodox Cathedral
St. Sophia’s Greek Orthodox Cathedral
Moscow Road, Bayswater, London W2 4LQ, UK
TEL: 0044 (0) 20 7229 7260
FAX: 0044 (0) 20 7243 6144
Addresses of the
West Norwood Cemetery - Greek Necropolis, Norwood
High Street, London SE27 (SE27 9JU)
Hendon Cemetery & Crematorium, Holders Hill Road,
London, NW7 1NB
New Southgate Cemetery, Brunswick Park Road, New
Southgate, N11 1JJ