CHOIR


 

The choir’s history can be traced back to 1848 when a four-part polyphonic choir was established at the Greek Chapel in the City of London.

 

The following year the choir moved to the newly consecrated Church of St. Saviour in London Wall.

 

Towards the end of the 1870’s it was deemed necessary for a new Church to be built near to where most of the Greek community lived.

 

So in 1879 with the completion of the new Church of the Divine Wisdom (St. Sophia) in Bayswater, West London, the choir moved to its present home.

Between 1908 and 1920 the choir flourished under the directorship of the composer and conductor Napoleon Lambelet (1864-1932), who composed a setting of the Divine Liturgy.


 

 

A second very successful period was under the directorship of Ernest Moss who directed the choir between 1940 and 1969.

 

During this period, especially during the Second World War years, the choir gave many concerts and participated in special services in aid of the Greek Red Cross.

In recent years the choir has appeared on television and has sung at various Orthodox churches within the United Kingdom from Glasgow to Southampton, and also in the Republic of Ireland.

 

The choir has also visited mainland Europe, notably Paris and Prague.

 

 

 

 

As well as the works on its present recording, the choir’s liturgical repertoire primarily consists of the setting of the Divine Liturgy by Themistocles Polycrates in an arrangement for mixed choir by its present director.

 

A four-part arrangement of a section of the Divine Liturgy, in the minor mode by Ioannis Sakellarides is also sometimes used.

 

As well as the Cherubic Hymn by Themistocles Polycrates, contained on the present recording, other Cherubic Hymns in the choir’s repertoire are by Lomakin, Arkhangelsky, Bortniansky, Tchaikovsky and Lvov.


The Choir has recorded a CD with many excellent hymns.

 
To purchase the CD, please contact the Choir Director, Mr Costas Manoras, at: costasmanoras@yahoo.co.uk.

 

   

Sample:

(please click on the title you want to listen)

 

 

Choir Director

Costas Manoras was born and educated in London and has directed the choir of the Greek Cathedral of St. Sophia since 1983.

 

He has set and arranged many liturgical hymns in a manner that aims at reinforcing the strength and retaining the character and spiritual quality of the original Byzantine melodies.

 

He has also re-set the Divine Liturgy of Themistocles Polycrates for mixed choir (soprano, alto, tenor, bass), the original having been composed for four male voice parts, and has also re-arranged many liturgical hymns by Ioannis Sakellarides, also for mixed choir, retaining Sakellarides’s original clear melodic line.

 

He maintains a busy schedule teaching, arranging, performing and directing..

 

Contact

Address
St. Sophia’s Greek Orthodox Cathedral
Moscow Road, Bayswater, London W2 4LQ, UK

Telephone Numbers
TEL: 0044 (0) 20 7229 7260
FAX: 0044 (0) 20 7243 6144

Internet
www.stsophia.org.uk
mail@stsophia.org.uk

Choir Director
costasmanoras@yahoo.co.uk